Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sweet Dreams

So, last night I had a dream about running.

I don't remember the specifics, all I know is that it was actually about running and not just me running away from something, or towards something (like ice cream..hmmm, ice cream).

This made me stop and give pause though, because, well...dreams are highly personal things. Who is this running to jump all up into them and interrupt me from doing something better like kissing Alan Rickman or eating ice cream (man, I want ice cream).

It took me a whole semester to dream about college instead of high school. Yup, I was sleeping soundly in my dorm, dreaming that I was going to miss a paper date or something to that effect in my old senior English class.

So, how on Earth after only almost-4-weeks did running manage to pop up into my sub-conscious?

Maybe because, thanks to the amazing inspiration stories over at c25k.com, its become my new favorite thing. I remember reading a post on the forums over there about when you know you're a runner. And I thought to myself, I never want to be a runner, I want to be someone who runs to train for taekwondo. But after reading about so many people who want only to run, and how much happiness it brings them it's completely changed my perspective on running. I want to be a runner.

An old taekwondo coach of mine once told me, if you have time to be something else, you're not trying hard enough. He was referring to my propensity to skip practice to go to rowing camps at the time, but over the years it has stuck with me and it was with that attitude that I began c25k. I was using the program to build up my cardio and lose weight with the sole purpose of being able to get back into the do-jang. Now, I'm running to run. And after I get back into the do-jang, I'm going to run. And once my career is over, and I'm old and pooping out babies, I'm going to run. And as I'm running, I'm going to remind myself, gosh darnit, I like this. Because I can be a runner and a taekwondoist. They're not competing with each other. And yah, I'm going to use running to train for tkd. But I'm also going to use tkd to train to run.

I am so excited to be a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment