Monday, April 12, 2010

W3D1, part 2- The Return of Emmz

So today I hit the asphalt again in hopes of a rise to glory, and I kind of achieved it.

I made a big decision regarding my c25k journey this week, it kind of felt like one of those Choose Your Own Adventure books- Distance or Time? If distance, turn to the track. If time, run willy nilly over campus. Well folks, I chose distance!


Like this.


I have a paranoia of timed runs. Back in the cross country days, a light workout was a 30 minute jog. It's what we did before race day. And somewhere in my head, timed runs are just light runs. I push myself harder on the track when I can see exactly how far I have to go. It's just a mental thing. So, I was paranoid that I wasn't running as fast as I should when it was just "run for 3 minutes" and I was right. I go faster on the track. I averaged a respectable 6.7 mph on my runs, and actually walked the walks since this was a recovery run from not running for a week and a half. I'll gradually add back in my jogging at 4.5 over this next week, and see how I feel about week 4. Right now, I'm feeling really good. Plus, on the track, you get to pass people. It's fun. And brings out the absolute worse in my competitive nature, since I focus only on passing the people in front of me, instead of "running my run". But still, I had a blast.

I'm also feeling a little muscle fatigue, since during this week and a half I didn't exactly sit around eating chocolate, as much fun as that sounds. Nope, I've been doing at least 40 minutes of intense cardio a day at my university's gym, usually more. After my run, I popped in there for a quick 35 minute bike ride, and burned somewhere around 500 calories today. Man, that's awesome.

Now, I'm sitting back, eating grapes. and going to do calculus. All in all, a good workout day. Tomorrow, I restart my 200/100/200 program!

No comments:

Post a Comment