Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Plan Part Deaux

Part 2-

So in my goal to find where my fit went, I've come to the realization (3 weeks into c25k) that strength training is just as important cardio. This came after reading a long article about how muscle burns more than fat just laying around. Think about it. In building muscle, you burn calories, and in turn get muscle, which burns more calories. Good deal right?

Since I'm a huge fan of plans (let's face it, the only way I get anything done is by having a plan), I found these great sites that detail 6 weeks plans that get anybody to doing

1) 100 push-ups - http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html
2) 200 sit-ups - http://www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html
3)200 squats - http://www.twohundredsquats.com/index.html

in just 6 weeks. Wow! That means I'll be finishing up these programs as I finish up c25k. So, theoretically (finals, injury and life hopefully not getting in the way too much), in 6 weeks I will be a running, pushing, sitting up squatting machine. Day-um. Why didn't I do this before?! (because it's not easy that's why...)

To do these programs you take an initial test to find out which track you should follow (Easy, Medium, Hard). For push-ups, I managed to squeak out a hugely disappointing 5 good form push-ups. I can drop and do 20 crappy ones, but really digging deep and keeping good form is HARD. Sit-ups was easier, since if I really try I can do 200 at any given moment (rowing gives great ab strength). But afterward, I'm spent. Can't move my abs for days. I'm hoping this program will get me doing 200 as a part of a workout, not an all out. I gave 30 for that test since I felt it was better to do what I felt I could do without intense ab pain that would make me sore. For squats, I also gave 30 with the same, do it till it starts to hurt philosophy. So that puts me at Easy for Push-ups and Hard for abs and squats week 1. Not bad. I'm really excited for this. Especially the push-ups. I've never been good at them. Ever. The idea of me possibly being able to drop and give 100? Amazing.

Now if only I could find a program to get my splits back. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment